Wednesday night was book club. 06.09.10.
Our very first meeting, to discuss Reading Lolita in Tehran, was 06.10.09.
that’s kind of cosmic, right?
This month’s book may be my favorite so far…and I’m not even a third of the way through. (Finishing books by an assigned date is sooooo 4th grade, daaahling.) I’m told that I may change my mind longabout 2/3 through. We shall see.
We read On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I never got around to it during college…English majors have a lot of ground to cover, people! And frankly I don’t know whether I would’ve cared too much for it then. But something about it now (“it” being JK’s style and rambling poetry-prose, his passion for life and the open road, the-un-I Love Lucy-50s aesthetic, all of the above) gets me right where it hurts.
I’ve pretty much decided mid-century was the time for me. Between decorating my house & getting to know graphic design this year, plus:
…you can just slap me in the 50s-60s and call me dollface. Just get hip to this, for a taste, daddy-o:
Belief & Technique
For Modern Prose
by Jack Kerouac
List of Essentials:
- Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
- Submissive to everything, open, listening
- Try never get drunk outside yr own house
- Be in love with yr life
- Something that you feel will find its own form
- Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
- Blow as deep as you want to blow
- Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
- The unspeakable visions of the individual
- No time for poetry but exactly what is
- Visionary tics shivering in the chest
- In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
- Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
- Like Proust be an old teahead of time
- Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
- The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
- Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
- Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
- Accept loss forever
- Believe in the holy contour of life
- Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
- Dont think of words when you stop but to see picture better
- Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
- No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
- Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
- Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
- In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
- Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
- You’re a Genius all the time
- Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven
If I could marry a concept, this one would be it. I’m the future Mrs. Belief & Technique for Modern Prose.
We are registered at Target.
* pretty sure Beat writers were early hiphop artists, calling each other “son” and the like.
** this Otis Redding cd is a delight. Dude was MY AGE and at the top of his game. Just try not to chair-dance if you listen at work. Try it.
*** i haven’t yet even seen an episode of Mad Men, but i love the look of it so much. Don Draper could smoke in my cubical any day. Not a euphemism.